Monday, January 21, 2019

No More Excues

quote
 I am amazed at what I can accomplish when I stop making excuses.  I've also been fabulous at making excuses as to why my second novel hasn't been completed. However, excuses get boring and are empty words when I keep repeating them and yet do nothing to change it. Quite frankly, making excuses is now what I want to put on my list of accomplishments.

First thing I did was decide what I wanted to complete to feel successful in the year 2019.  I want to finish a sequel to House Of Redemption. I also wanted to complete the next two writing prompt books.

Plan of action was second on the list to do. I set a minimum attainable daily word count. As though I haven't done that before. I had to identify why I have failed. Simply put, I never allowed myself a day off. If I wasn't writing, I was feeling guilty and focused on cleaning house, chasing kids, and what not. If I was doing something else, I was feeling guilty for not writing. A vicious non-productive cycle. I gave myself two days off from writing. Guilt free days to do whatever I wanted.

 The last item that goes with the Plan of Action is accountability. Being a great supporter of others in their ventures, I gathered a few of my fellow writers where we set our monthly word count goals and on a shared worksheet, we track our writing, We can see what we are and what we aren't doing.

 So far, the sequel to House of Redemption is coming along. Burn Down the House Volume II and From The Ashes Volume III (ten-minute writing prompts) should be released in a few months. (Accountability. See what I did right there?) How about you? What is it you want to accomplish in 2019? What is your plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment